The Asbestos Diseases Society of Australia (Inc) (ADSA),
is an incorporated registered charitable organisation, founded
in 1979 for the purposes of:
- Providing counselling and support services to those who
develop asbestos-related diseases and their families.
- Providing economic assistance to those who suffer financial
hardship or social disadvantage as a result of contracting
- Political lobbying and advocacy in asbestos-related areas.
- Fundraising for medical research and support services.
- Raising community awareness of the dangers associated
with asbestos in the community, and providing information
thereon as requested.
The organisation is non-profit and charges only a nominal
membership fee to its members. Except for a small annual grant
courtesy of the West Australian Government, it is largely
reliant on fund raising activities and the public's support
for its operating revenue. ADSA is therefore independent of
public or private sector interests.